Best Mexican Food Charleston Sc! Mexican food is a staple of the American diet. It’s one of those foods that just about everyone loves – no matter where you are from.
There are so many different ways to enjoy Mexican cuisine, from burritos to tacos, and each dish has its unique flavour profile.
11 Mexican Restaurants in Charleston.
Charleston is a city with a rich history and culture. One of the best ways to show your Charleston pride is by eating at one of the many Mexican restaurants in Charleston! The food, drinks, and atmosphere are all amazing!
Here are 11 Mexican Restaurants In Charleston that you should visit next time you’re craving some great Mexican food.
De La Cruz Taqueria:
This Charleston staple started on North Market Street in the early 1990s and now has five locations around town. The menu features speciality burritos, tacos, nachos, and more. Some of the most popular items include steak fajitas, carne asada fries with chilli con queso sauce, and a carne asada burrito.
This Mexican restaurant features traditional dishes including tamales, tacos, and enchiladas, alongside American favourites like burgers and fries. The menu also includes Salvadorian-style hot dogs with ketchup, mayonnaise, and chilli sauce on top of a bun.
This Mexican restaurant features Colombian and Peruvian dishes as well. The menu offers an extensive selection of appetizers, including a variety of ceviches and grilled octopus, alongside entrees like seafood paella or the house speciality ropa vieja served with rice, beans, and plantains.
The Taco Box:
This Mexican restaurant in downtown Charleston specializes in tacos and burritos, with almost two dozen different options on the menu, including everything from al pastor to carnitas.
Some of the other popular items include empanadas, nachos, and various seafood dishes like shrimp fajita and Camarones a la diablo.
With locations in North Charleston and Mount Pleasant, this Mexican restaurant offers various dishes from tacos to burritos, quesadillas, and fajitas with a wide-ranging selection of meats like chicken tinga or steak pastor. There are plenty of vegetarian options as well, including beans, rice, quesadilla, and cheese.
This Mexican restaurant in downtown Charleston is famous for its tacos, but there are also dishes like tamales and enchiladas. They offer a variety of meats, including lengua (beef tongue), Asada (steak), or pollo con mole Verde (chicken with green mole sauce).
This Mexican restaurant in North Charleston is inspired by the flavours of Mexico City and offers dishes like carne asada (skirt steak), shrimp fajitas, or chicken mole. They also have a variety of drinks, including margaritas on tap made with fresh fruit purees.
This Mexican restaurant in North Charleston offers authentic dishes like tacos al pastor, burrito, and tortas.
Their signature dish is the El Toro Taco Plate which includes carne asada served on rice with beans and salsa verde. They also have vegetarian options such as vegan cheese or pickled carrots and jalapeños.
La Mexican is a family-owned restaurant in Mount Pleasant that offers dishes like tacos al pastor (pork), burrito, enchiladas Verdes, or chilaquiles. They have vegetarian options such as grilled cheese with avocado and salsa on top of corn tortilla chips.
This restaurant in North Charleston offers authentic Mexican food like tacos al pastor, burrito, and enchiladas. Their signature dish is the Tacos El Mexicano which includes steak or pork served on a corn tortilla with onion, cilantro, tomato sauce, and cheese.
They also offer vegetarian options such as grilled cheese with avocado and salsa on top of corn tortilla chips.
Pupuseria La Mexicana:
This place in North Charleston offers various dishes, such as tacos al pastor, burrito, and enchiladas Verdes or chilaquiles. Their signature dish is the Tacos El Mexicano which includes steak or pork served on a corn tortilla with onion, cilantro, tomato sauce, and cheese.
10 Tips for Finding the Best Mexican Food in Charleston.
- Check Yelp reviews for the restaurant you’re interested in. A promising sign is when many people claim it’s the best Mexican food they’ve ever had. and a bad sign is when someone who isn’t from Mexico claims to serve authentic Mexican cuisine dishes.
- If your favorite dish at any other non-Mexican place happens to be something with a Mexican-sounding name, make sure they have it on the menu.
- When in doubt, stick to tacos! A taco is about as traditional and straightforward of an entrée as you can get at many places, so order one before branching out into other dishes or sauces that may be unfamiliar to your palette.
- Look for dishes that have a lot of ingredients on the menu.
- Don’t be afraid to order something you’ve never had before. But always stick with your gut! If it doesn’t sound too appealing or looks strange, trust yourself and don’t take any risks.
- Ordering off the specials board is typically an excellent way to taste the more unique dishes.
- Ordering a margarita or Mexican beer with your meal is always a good idea!
- It’s also essential that you watch them prepare it in front of you. So avoid ordering anything if they’re cooking it behind closed doors. You’ll be able to see whether many people seem disgruntled with the way their orders are being prepared.
- If you want to try a dish that’s popular in your home country but not Mexico, ask what words they recommend and how it compares to what you’re looking for! You might find something new that takes you back without taking away from your favorite meals.
- Restaurants that are the best Mexican food in Charleston, SC, often have delicious, spicy salsas and fresh ingredients.
13 Must-Try Mexican Dishes in Charleston:
If you’re looking for some must-try Mexican dishes in Charleston, here are 13 delicious options to consider:
- Tacos: Try classic street tacos with your choice of filling, such as carne asada (grilled beef), al pastor (marinated pork), or grilled chicken.
- Enchiladas: Soft corn tortillas rolled around a savoury filling, covered in a flavorful sauce, and baked to perfection.
- Guacamole: Freshly made guacamole is a must! It’s a creamy and tasty avocado dip often served with tortilla chips.
- Quesadillas: These are folded tortillas stuffed with cheese and fillings like mushrooms, spinach, or shredded meat.
- Tamales: Steamed corn dough filled with seasoned meat, cheese, or vegetables, wrapped in corn husks.
- Chiles Rellenos: Poblano peppers stuffed with cheese or meat, coated in egg batter, and fried until golden.
- Carnitas: Slow-cooked, tender, and juicy pork is typically served with tortillas and toppings.
- Pozole: A hearty and flavorful soup made with hominy meat (usually pork or chicken) and seasoned with herbs and spices.
- Ceviche: Fresh seafood (fish, shrimp, or a mix) marinated in lime or lemon juice, mixed with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and sometimes avocado.
- Chilaquiles: Tortilla chips lightly fried and topped with red or green salsa, cheese, sour cream, and shredded chicken or beef.
- Mole: A rich and complex sauce with chilli peppers, chocolate, and various spices, served with chicken or enchiladas.
- Sopes: Thick, small corn tortillas with raised edges, topped with beans, meat, lettuce, cheese, and salsa.
- Flan: A creamy and smooth caramel custard dessert that’s a perfect way to end a Mexican meal.
Remember, different restaurants may have variations or specialities, so don’t hesitate to explore and try new dishes! Enjoy your culinary journey through the flavours of Mexico in Charleston!
Rollin’ tacos and chips: The Best Mexican Food in Charleston.
Taco Tuesday is here, and Charleston’s Best Mexican Food Restaurant has got you covered. If you don’t know what to order, the staff at Rollin’ Tacos and Chips suggest ordering a taco plate or burrito with your choice of beef, chicken, pork carnitas, or shrimp for some seafood flair.
We’ve also got our signature tacos de Pescador (fish tacos) on special this week. They are served in flour tortillas topped with cabbage slaw and chipotle mayo – yum!
And don’t forget that we’re BYOB, so bring your favourite bottle of wine to enjoy alongside your meal.
Thank you for reading our blog post about the best Mexican food in Charleston, SC. We hope we were able to help you find your new favourite spot!
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave us a comment below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Where can I find authentic Mexican food in Charleston, SC?
There are several restaurants and eateries in Charleston that offer authentic Mexican cuisine. Some popular options include [Restaurant A], [Restaurant B], and [Restaurant C]. These establishments are known for their traditional Mexican recipes and flavorful dishes.
What are some must-try Mexican dishes in Charleston, SC?
When exploring Mexican food in Charleston, try classics like tacos, enchiladas, guacamole, tamales, and chiles rellenos. Additionally, local specialities such as [Specialty Dish A] and [Specialty Dish B] are worth experiencing for a unique taste of the region.
Are any Mexican restaurants in Charleston catering to vegetarian or vegan diets?
Yes, there are Mexican restaurants in Charleston that offer a variety of options for vegetarians and vegans. On their menus, you can find dishes like vegetable fajitas, bean and cheese burritos, and veggie-packed enchiladas.
What are the typical spice levels in Mexican dishes served in Charleston?
The spice levels in Mexican dishes can vary depending on the restaurant and the dish itself. In general, some words might be mildly spiced, while others could be quite spicy. If you have specific preferences for spice levels, don’t hesitate to ask the server for recommendations or adjustments.
Are any Mexican food trucks or markets worth visiting in Charleston, SC?
Absolutely! Charleston has a vibrant food truck scene, and Mexican food trucks offer delicious and authentic eats. Additionally, keep an eye out for local markets or food festivals featuring Mexican cuisine, providing an excellent opportunity to try various dishes in one place.