Green Salad With Avocado, Green salads is one of the most popular types of salad available. They are easy to make and have wide exciting varieties. Depending on your preference, they can be eaten as a side or as the main dish.
One example is a green salad with avocado and bacon, which has tangy lemon dressing and makes this dish a refreshing type of salad to enjoy.
What is Avocado?
Avocado is a type of fruit that is part of the berry group. It tastes similar to buttery or mayonnaise-like flavor. Avocados were first cultivated in Mexico and Central America but are now grown and produced worldwide. They are typically eaten as a snack or in salad dishes.
How does Delicious make a green salad with avocado?
It is best to start by preparing the dressing and chopping the vegetables. Using artisanal bread or bread cut from a country loaf is also ideal. Next, finely chop the onions and place them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs. Let this mixture sauté for about five minutes before adding in your avocados. Lastly, mix everything before serving on a plate.
- 1/2 cup of diced bacon
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup of roasted almonds
- 3 avocados, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces or torn into bite-sized pieces if you don’t have a knife to do this without bruising the leaves.
- 2 cups of artichoke hearts packed in water, drained, and chopped roughly into half-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup of green grape or cherry tomato, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup of red grapes or green grapes
- 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice (optional)
- A dash of salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 lemon, quartered (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of fresh-squeezed lemon juice or quality vinegar with 4-ounce of lemon juice (for a substitute when out of lemons)
- 1/4 cup or 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil(for substitute when out of olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper (for a substitute when out of black pepper)
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons of dried thyme leaves (for a substitute when out of thyme leaves)
- 1 green onion, chopped and soaked in cold water for about 30 minutes before blanching and drained until ready to use (for a substitute when out of black onion )
- 1 teaspoon of dried tarragon leaves (for a substitute when out of tarragon leaves)
Step 1. Caramelize the bacon in your preferred way. You can fry, bake, or cook it in foil on low heat with a little water to avoid burning if you are too busy. Don’t forget to remove the bacon and put it aside for later use.
Step 2. Finely dice the red onion and fry it in a little oil (about two tablespoons) until it becomes translucent. Add in some thyme and salt, then reduce the heat and cover the skillet for about 3 minutes to let the onion become slightly caramelized.
Step 3. Next, add water to your skillet until it is roughly half the level of the bacon you used for cooking. Cover the skillet, let it sizzle, and steam for about 5 minutes to make it easy to blend your dressing.
Step 4. Peel the avocados with a knife or spoon and place them in a mixing bowl. Mash them into loose chunks with a spoon or fork. Add in fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper, herbs, and nutmeg (if desired). Mix well until everything is evenly distributed and everything is slightly spicy.
Step 5. Add your cooked bacon, tomatoes, onions, and artichoke hearts into the bowl and mix well.
Step 6. Add in your romaine lettuce, chopped almonds, grapes, and green onion. Now blend everything together with a spoon or a spatula until you get an even consistency throughout the salad bowl.
Step 7. Serve and enjoy!
- Instead of lemon juice, you can use 1/4 cup of orange juice for the dressing for a sweeter taste or if you don’t have any lemons.
- You can also add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to add a nutty taste.
- You can use fresh parsley instead of dried thyme and tarragon.
- If you want to mix the ingredients instead of layering, you can do this in your bowl by folding everything together until the lettuce is slightly wilted and then serving it on a plate.
- For a crispier salad, don’t soak your onions in cold water (Step 4).
Healthy Benefits of Green Salad With Avocado:
1. Low in Calories, High in Fiber
One serving of this healthy salad has only about 152 calories. It is also filled with high dietary fiber content and protein (12.7 grams per serving). Dietary fiber is essential in the body because it helps provide healthy gut bacteria and, more importantly, reduces your risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, hemorrhoids, and diverticulitis. This high dietary fiber content also makes your digestive system works better, which helps you to lose weight.
2. Good Source of Vitamin C, Protein, and Essential Minerals
Green salad with avocado is also a good source of vitamin C, which is helpful in the prevention of premature aging and all types of cancer. It is also packed with tons of protein and important minerals such as iron, calcium, zinc, and magnesium.
3. Great for Weight Loss
This salad also helps you lose weight because it contains a high fiber that is ideal for curbing your appetite. Its high protein content also helps you to maintain your body strength even after a long day at work.
4. Ideal for Healthy Skin, Bones, and Hair
Avocados are also a good source of the amino acid known as lysine, which helps to build healthy new cells in your hair, skin, nails, and bones.
In particular, lysine is crucial in your skin’s healing process and in maintaining your hair’s elasticity and healthiness. It also helps to reduce stress and promote sleep in your body which is essential if you want to maintain a healthy complexion.
5. Promotes Healthy Heart
Green salad with avocado also contains a good amount of potassium, magnesium, folate, and vitamin B6, which help lower your risk of heart disease. This makes it ideal for people who want to live a healthier lifestyle.
6. Keeps you Young and Healthy
Another benefit of green salad with avocado is that it can keep you young because of its vitamin C content. Vitamin C is essential in producing collagen, which supports your skin and bones. In particular, it can prevent you from the damaging effects of free radicals and the stresses of the sun. It also helps maintain your immune system function and nourish your cardiovascular system.
7. Protects Against Cancer
Lastly, this salad is great because it provides extra protection against cancer. This is because it contains a lot of lutein which protects your eyes by absorbing excess light and radiation, preventing damage to your corneas and the cells behind them.
8. Great with Roasted Chicken
This healthy salad goes great with roasted chicken and beef. You can enjoy a juicy steak and green salad on your dinner table in less than an hour!
It also makes an ideal meal for those on a diet because of its low fats, high fiber content, high protein level, and the option to add or remove some ingredients to create something new each time you make it.
What green goes with a tomato avocado onion salad?
Greens like arugula, Mache, rocket, or red leaf lettuce all go great with this salad. The good news is you can use whatever you have on hand to make it even more convenient, or if you have access to specialty greens that work well in salads.
It also goes nicely with other fresh ingredients like juicy grapes, a few crumbles of blue cheese, and crunchy almonds.
Some people prefer their avocado salad without tomatoes. This tomato-avocado onion salad may not be for them.
- This salad is great for grilled chicken, pork, fish, and beef.
- If you want to make it vegan friendly, simply substitute the eggs with vegan mayonnaise and eggs (not only for this recipe but in most of your salads).
- You can easily add more flavor by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper at step 5.
- You can also make this salad with different greens, including romaine, kale, and spinach.
Green salad with shrimp and avocado:
This tropical salad is one of the best ways to enjoy summer. This salad is a staple in my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can add some chicken breast to make it more filling and protein-packed.
Every time I eat this salad, I prepare it with certain ingredients that are in season at that time of the year, like fresh corn on the cob, large ripe mangoes, sweet red bell peppers, and green onions that are in season.
If you have a chance to have some fresh fish, throw it in. I usually buy fresh fish at my local grocery store. So I usually don’t have to add salt to it since the tuna is already salted.
I usually make this salad with a good amount of corn, mangoes, and bell peppers because these ingredients are abundant during the summertime.
Green salad with avocado is a wonderful and easy salad recipe. It is packed with high dietary fiber, protein, calcium, and iron content.
It also helps you lose weight because it contains a high amount of protein and important minerals like iron, zinc, magnesium, and calcium. This salad also helps keep your heart healthy by providing potassium and magnesium from its natural ingredients.
Overall, green salad with avocado is a healthy and delicious salad recipe. I usually prefer this to traditional salads and make it whenever I am bored of the same old salads.
If you like my recipes, please subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Pinterest, Google+, and Facebook for updates.