A grilled cheese sandwich fast food is one of the world’s most classic fast food dishes. This amazing dish has been sold in its present form since the early 1900s.
The sandwich has always consisted of bread, butter, and cheese. The bread is usually white bread or toasted bread. Butter can be either butter or margarine, but it must be at room temperature before being spread on the bread.
Cheese varies depending on your preference- cheddar, Swiss, provolone, Muenster are just a few options that are available for purchase at your local grocery store.
What is the origin of Grilled Cheese Sandwich Fast Food?
This dish has been around for quite some time and changes depending on where you live. For example, in the United States, the sandwich consists of American cheese, whereas it consists of brie and camembert cheese in France.
The grilled cheese sandwich fast food was created shortly after the invention of sliced bread. It is one of the oldest fast food dishes in existence. The invention of the sandwich is credited to an Englishman by the name of John Montagu.
However, it was not referred to as a “grilled cheese” until 1920. There were no frying pans at that time in history, and people began to use a broiler instead. The term “grill” became synonymous with broiling, and a sandwich with cheese was named a “grilled cheese” regardless of how it was cooked.
The history of the grilled cheese sandwich:
The history of the grilled cheese sandwich can be traced back hundreds of years, but the modern version we know and love today has evolved considerably over time.
Origins and early versions
It combined bread and cheese dates back to ancient times, with the Romans enjoying similar dishes. However, the grilled cheese sandwich as we know it began to take shape in the early 20th century.
This was mainly due to the invention of processed cheese and sliced bread, which made grilled cheese sandwiches much more accessible and affordable.
How has grilled cheese evolved?
In the 1920s, processed cheese was introduced by James L. Kraft, which made cheese affordable and easy to store. Around the same time, the invention of sliced bread by Otto Frederick Rohwedder greatly simplified the sandwich-making process.
These innovations, along with the Great Depression in the 1930s, led to the rise of the grilled cheese sandwich as an inexpensive and comforting food option.
During World War II, grilled cheese sandwiches were popular among American soldiers. After the war, they gained even more popularity in the United States and eventually became a staple in diners and households.
Over the years, grilled cheese sandwiches have evolved to include various types of bread and cheese and additions like tomatoes, bacon, and other fillings.
The popularity of grilled cheese sandwiches has also led to the creation of speciality grilled cheese shops and food trucks, which offer unique and gourmet versions of the classic sandwich.
The rise of grilled cheese sandwiches in fast food restaurants
As grilled cheese sandwiches became increasingly popular, fast food chains began incorporating them into their menus. This allowed customers to enjoy the comfort and convenience of a grilled cheese sandwich on the go.
Today, many fast food restaurants offer their versions of grilled cheese sandwiches, often with unique twists or options for customization. This has led to various grilled cheese options for fast food lovers, making it easier to find the perfect cheese sandwich to satisfy any craving.
The Impact of social media and food trends on grilled cheese sandwiches
In recent years, social media platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest have significantly popularised and transformed grilled cheese sandwiches. Food bloggers, influencers, and everyday users share photos of their creative and mouth-watering grilled cheese creations, inspiring others to try new recipes and combinations.
Grilled cheese sandwiches have also benefitted from the rise of food trends like comfort food and nostalgia-driven cuisine.
People are increasingly seeking familiar, home-cooked meals that evoke warmth and childhood memories. Grilled cheese sandwiches perfectly encapsulate this trend with their simple ingredients and versatile nature.
Grilled cheese competitions and festivals
The popularity of grilled cheese sandwiches has even led to competitions and festivals dedicated solely to this beloved dish.
Events like the annual Grilled Cheese Invitational and the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Championship showcase the best-grilled cheese sandwich recipes and crown the ultimate grilled cheese master. These events help further elevate the status of grilled cheese sandwiches and contribute to their ongoing evolution.
The future of grilled cheese sandwiches
With the continued growth in popularity, grilled cheese sandwiches will likely continue to evolve and adapt to changing tastes and preferences.
We can expect to see more unique combinations and variations of the classic sandwich and the emergence of new bread and cheese options. Additionally, as people become increasingly health-conscious and seek plant-based alternatives, we may see a rise in vegan and vegetarian grilled cheese sandwiches.
Fast food chains with the best-grilled cheese sandwiches:
Fast food chains have recognized the demand for delicious grilled cheese sandwiches, and many have created their versions to cater to their customers’ cravings.
Here are some of the best fast-food chains that offer mouth-watering grilled cheese sandwiches:
- Overview of McDonald’s grilled cheese options: While not officially on the menu, McDonald’s allows customers to order a grilled cheese sandwich through customization. The “McGrilled Cheese” consists of two slices of cheese sandwiched between two burger buns, toasted to perfection.
- Tips for customizing your McDonald’s grilled cheese: Consider asking for a specific type of cheese or adding toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, or pickles. For a unique twist, you can also experiment with different sauces like Big Mac sauce or honey mustard.
2. Burger King
- Overview of Burger King’s grilled cheese options: Similar to McDonald’s, you can create a custom grilled cheese sandwich at Burger King. Ask for two slices of cheese between two toasted sesame seed buns.
- Tips for customizing your Burger King grilled cheese: Enhance your sandwich by adding toppings like crispy onions, jalapeños, or a veggie patty. Don’t forget to explore sauces like BBQ, ranch, or zesty sauce for a flavour kick.
3. Sonic Drive-In
- Overview of Sonic’s grilled cheese options: Sonic offers a classic grilled cheese sandwich made with Texas toast and melted American cheese. This buttery, crispy sandwich is sure to satisfy any grilled cheese lover.
- Tips for customizing your Sonic grilled cheese: Add extra flavour with bacon or jalapeños. Consider dipping your sandwich in Sonic’s signature sauces, like honey mustard or their signature cheese sauce.
- Overview of Chick-fil-A’s grilled cheese options: Chick-fil-A has a secret menu item called the “Grilled Cheese,” which consists of a buttery toasted bun with melted American cheese.
- Tips for customizing your Chick-fil-A grilled cheese: Enhance the flavor by adding lettuce, tomato, or pickles. You can also upgrade your sandwich by including a slice of their signature chicken for a grilled cheese with a protein punch.
5. In-N-Out Burger
- Overview of In-N-Out’s grilled cheese options: In-N-Out offers a grilled cheese sandwich as part of their “Not-So-Secret Menu.” This vegetarian option includes two cheese slices, lettuce, tomato, and their special spread on a toasted bun.
- Tips for customizing your In-N-Out grilled cheese: You can request additional toppings like grilled onions, pickles, or jalapeño peppers. For a truly indulgent experience, try ordering your “Animal Style” grilled cheese, including extra spread, mustard-grilled patties, and onions.
6. Five Guys
- Overview of Five Guys’ grilled cheese options: Although primarily known for burgers, Five Guys also serves a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Made with melted American cheese between two slices of buttered, toasted bread, it’s a comforting classic.
- Tips for customizing your Five Guys grilled cheese: Five Guys allows customers to choose from an array of toppings at no extra charge. Add grilled mushrooms, onions, jalapeños, or green peppers to elevate your sandwich. You can also choose from various condiments like BBQ sauce, hot sauce, or mayo.
- Overview of Arby’s grilled cheese options: While Arby’s does not have a grilled cheese sandwich on its main menu, they offer a kids’ meal version. This sandwich includes two slices of melted cheese on toasted bread.
- Tips for customizing your Arby’s grilled cheese: If you’re looking for something more substantial, you can always customize your sandwich by adding ingredients like Arby’s signature roast beef, turkey, or even their crispy onion strings. Don’t forget to try sauces like Arby’s or Horsey sauce for an extra flavor boost.
8. Dairy Queen
- Overview of Dairy Queen’s grilled cheese options: Dairy Queen offers a simple yet satisfying grilled cheese sandwich as part of their kids’ menu. It features two slices of melted cheese between warm, toasted bread.
- Tips for customizing your Dairy Queen grilled cheese: While Dairy Queen doesn’t offer as many customization options as other fast-food chains, you can still enhance your sandwich by adding toppings like lettuce, tomato, or onions. Pair your grilled cheese sandwich with one of Dairy Queen’s signature Blizzards for a perfect sweet and savoury combo.
9. Panera Bread
- Overview of Panera’s grilled cheese options: While not a traditional fast-food chain, Panera Bread offers a delicious Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich featuring a combination of fontina and mozzarella cheeses on their country white bread.
- Tips for customizing your Panera grilled cheese: Panera allows customers to customize their sandwiches, so feel free to add ingredients like fresh spinach, avocado, or bacon. You can also ask for a different bread option, like their whole grain or tomato basil.
10. Shake Shack
- Overview of Shake Shack’s grilled cheese options: Shake Shack offers a delicious grilled cheese sandwich made with melted American cheese between two buttered, toasted potato buns.
- Tips for customizing your Shake Shack grilled cheese: Shake Shack provides a few customization options, such as adding lettuce, tomato, or ShackSauce. Consider ordering your grilled cheese with a side of their cheese fries sauce for dipping for a unique twist.
These fast food chains and restaurants prove that there’s a grilled cheese sandwich for everyone, whether you prefer a simple, classic recipe or a more elaborate, gourmet creation.
Don’t hesitate to try different combinations and customize your sandwich to create the ultimate grilled cheese experience.
Lesser-known fast food grilled cheese gems
Some lesser-known fast food chains and local establishments also offer incredible grilled cheese sandwiches worth seeking.
Here are a few hidden gems that grilled cheese enthusiasts should explore:
Regional fast food chains with standout grilled cheese sandwiches
- Melt Shop (East Coast, USA): This chain specializes in gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches with unique combinations like the Truffle Melt, which includes Havarti cheese, truffle oil, and arugula on sourdough bread.
- The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen (San Francisco, CA): This restaurant is dedicated to the art of the perfect grilled cheese sandwich. They offer a variety of artisanal sandwiches, like the Mushroom Gruyère, which features sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, Gruyère cheese, and fresh thyme on artisan bread.
- Tom + Chee (Midwest and Southeast, USA): Originally featured on the TV show “Shark Tank,” Tom + Chee offers various grilled cheese sandwiches and melts. Their most famous offering is the Grilled Cheese Donut, a unique twist on the traditional sandwich that replaces bread with a glazed doughnut.
Mom-and-pop fast food joints with delicious grilled cheese options
- Kappa Casein Dairy (London, UK): This small, independent eatery is known for its legendary cheese toasties made with a blend of Montgomery cheddar, Comté, and Ogleshield cheese, accompanied by finely chopped onions and leeks.
- The Grilled Cheese Factory (Paris, France): This Parisian establishment adds a touch of French flair to the classic grilled cheese sandwich, using ingredients like Camembert, raclette, and blue cheese to create unique and flavorful sandwiches.
International fast food grilled cheese sandwiches
- Toast Box (Singapore): This Singaporean chain offers the Kaya Toast, a sweet variation on the grilled cheese sandwich made with kaya (coconut jam) and a slice of cold butter between crispy toasted bread.
- Grill’d (Australia): While this Australian chain is known for its burgers, it also offers a delicious Vegemite & Cheese toastie. It combines Vegemite, a popular Australian spread, with melted cheese for a unique and savoury grilled cheese experience.
These lesser-known gems prove there is no shortage of exceptional grilled cheese sandwiches worldwide.
From regional chains to mom-and-pop eateries and international variations, these establishments offer unique and delicious ways to enjoy grilled cheese. So next time you travel or seek a local culinary adventure, seek out these hidden treasures.
Food trucks specializing in grilled cheese sandwiches
- The Grilled Cheeserie (Nashville, TN, USA): This popular food truck serves a rotating menu of creative and gourmet cheese sandwiches. Some favourites include the Pimento Mac & Cheese, which combines homemade pimento cheese, macaroni, and bacon on country white bread. The B&B of Tennessee features buttermilk cheddar, bacon, and seasonal jam on multigrain bread.
- Cheese Wizards (Seattle, WA, USA): Known for its quirky theme and magical grilled cheese creations, Cheese Wizards offers sandwiches like the Goblin King, made with Beecher’s Flagship cheddar, cream cheese, caramelized onions, and roasted red pepper aioli on sourdough bread.
- Gorilla Cheese (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada): This Canadian food truck boasts an array of inventive grilled cheese sandwiches, like the Lumberjack, which combines aged cheddar, bacon, Granny Smith apples, and maple syrup on multigrain bread.
Vegetarian and vegan grilled cheese options
- The Grilled Cheese Grill (Portland, OR, USA): This Portland-based eatery, which operates out of a converted school bus, offers a wide selection of grilled cheese sandwiches, including a vegan option called the “Daiya Lisa.” It features Daiya vegan cheddar, tomatoes, and onions on vegan-friendly bread.
- Temple of Seitan (London, UK): Known for its vegan fast food, Temple of Seitan serves up a vegan grilled cheese sandwich made with melted vegan cheese, seitan bacon, and caramelized onions on toasted sourdough bread.
Unique and innovative grilled cheese sandwich variations
- Ms Cheezious (Miami, FL, USA): This award-winning restaurant offers an array of unique grilled cheese options, like the Goat Cheese & Prosciutto sandwich, which features goat cheese, prosciutto, and tomato on marble rye bread, and the Crabby Cheese Melt, which combines fresh crab and sharp cheddar on sourdough bread.
- Toasty’s (San Francisco, CA, USA): Toasty offers several quinoa-based variations on grilled cheese sandwiches. For example, their Quinoa Veggie Melt combines quinoa, arugula, avocado, and pepper jack cheese on your choice of bread.
These lesser-known grilled cheese gems showcase the creativity and diversity of grilled cheese sandwiches in the culinary world. By venturing beyond traditional fast-food chains, you can experience a wide range of grilled cheese options, from gourmet creations to vegan-friendly variations.
So, whether you’re a grilled cheese enthusiast or just looking for a delicious, comforting meal, explore these unique offerings.
Healthier grilled cheese sandwich options:
Opting for a healthier grilled cheese sandwich doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor. By making a few simple adjustments to the ingredients and cooking methods, you can create a delicious and nutritious grilled cheese sandwich that you can enjoy.
Here are some tips for creating healthier grilled cheese options:
- Choose whole-grain bread: Swap out white bread for a whole-grain or whole-wheat option, which provides more fibre, vitamins, and minerals.
- Use lower-fat cheese: Select lower-fat cheese varieties like part-skim mozzarella, reduced-fat cheddar, or light Swiss to reduce the overall calorie and fat content.
- Add vegetables: Enhance the nutritional value of your sandwich by including vegetables such as spinach, kale, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, or grilled onions. This adds vitamins and nutrients and makes a more satisfying and flavorful sandwich.
- Use a healthier spread: Replace butter with heart-healthy alternatives like olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil. You can also use mashed avocado or hummus as a spread for added creaminess without the extra saturated fat.
- Use smaller portions of cheese: Keep the cheesy flavour while reducing calorie and fat content by using a smaller portion or opting for thinly sliced cheese.
- Include lean protein: Add a source of lean protein, like grilled chicken, turkey, or tofu, to create a more filling and balanced meal.
- Grill or bake your sandwich: Instead of frying your sandwich in butter or oil, consider grilling or baking it to reduce the amount of added fat.
By incorporating these tips, you can create a healthier grilled cheese sandwich that delivers taste and satisfaction. Experiment with various combinations of ingredients to find the perfect balance of flavor and nutrition that suits your preferences.
Pairing your grilled cheese sandwich with sides and drinks:
A great grilled cheese sandwich can be made even better with the right sides and drinks. Whether you prefer a simple classic or a more elaborate gourmet creation, here are some suggestions for pairing your grilled cheese sandwich with complementary sides and beverages:
- SOUP: A classic pairing, tomato soup complements the richness of the grilled cheese sandwich, providing a delightful contrast of flavors and textures. For an equally delicious pairing, you can also try other soup varieties like creamy mushroom, vegetable, or chicken noodle soup.
- SALAD: Pair your grilled cheese with a refreshing green salad to balance out the richness of the sandwich. Choose a salad with a tangy vinaigrette, crunchy vegetables, and sweetness from ingredients like dried cranberries or sliced apples.
- PICKLES: The tanginess of pickles pairs well with the savoury, melted cheese in your sandwich, cutting through the richness and adding a nice crunch.
- FRENCH FRIES OR SWEET POTATO FRIES: Pair your grilled cheese sandwich with crispy French fries or sweet potato fries for a more indulgent side. You can also bake the fries to reduce the amount of oil used.
- COLESLAW: A creamy, tangy coleslaw can be a great side dish to complement the warm, melted cheese in your sandwich.
- CLASSIC SOFT DRINKS: The carbonation and sweetness of sodas can help cleanse your palate, balancing out the richness of the grilled cheese sandwich. Consider a cola, lemon-lime, or root beer to accompany your meal.
- ICED TEA: A cold, refreshing glass of iced tea, either sweetened or unsweetened, can help cut through the heaviness of the grilled cheese and offer a pleasant contrast.
- MILKSHAKE: For an indulgent, nostalgic pairing, enjoy your grilled cheese sandwich with a thick, creamy milkshake. Choose flavors like vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry for a delightful combination.
- CRAFT BEER: Pair your grilled cheese sandwich with a craft beer that complements the flavors in your sandwich. An IPA or hoppy pale ale can cut through the richness of the cheese, while a brown ale or stout can enhance the toastiness of the bread.
- WINE: Wine can also pair well with grilled cheese sandwiches. A crisp, acidic white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay can help balance the heaviness of the cheese, while a light red wine like Pinot Noir can bring out the sandwich’s savoury flavors.
Experiment with different sides and drinks to find the perfect pairing for your grilled cheese sandwich. By complementing your sandwich with the right accompaniments, you can elevate the dining experience and enjoy a satisfying, delicious meal.
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich Fast Food?
Make sure that your butter is at room temperature before spreading it on the bread for this dish. Use a knife to spread butter evenly on both slices of bread.
Place one slice of bread on top of the other and cook the sandwich in a frying pan for approximately 3 minutes on both sides, or until it turns golden. Cut your perfectly cooked sandwich in half and add ketchup if desired. Now you have a complete meal!
- If you are short on time, make sure to purchase your sandwich from a restaurant. This will guarantee that the dish is fresh and delicious!
- If you would like, you can add extra ingredients such as ham or bacon for an additional charge. Of course, this will make the dish more expensive, but it will taste even better!
Why is this dish healthy?
This dish contains only 120 calories and has 0 grams of fat if you choose not to add butter and ketchup. It can make a great meal for most individuals. If you would like to cut sodium in this dish, be sure to request that your sandwich is not cooked with butter or margarine.
The Bottom Line
We hope you’ve learned something about the neuroscience behind what makes a grilled cheese sandwich so addicting.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments section below, and we will be sure to get back to you. And if you liked this blog post, don’t forget to subscribe or share it on social media!