This Hearty Crockpot Cowboy Soup is a filling meal that will warm you up from the inside out. It’s packed full of delicious ingredients like ground beef, potatoes, and carrots, making it perfect for a cold winter day.
Plus, it’s super easy to make – throw everything in the crockpot and let it do its thing! Whether you’re looking for a new soup recipe to add to your rotation or need something comforting and satisfying, this Cowboy Soup is sure to hit the spot.
What is Hearty Crockpot Cowboy Soup?
Hearty Crockpot Cowboy Soup is a hearty soup that will warm you up from the inside out. It contains delicious ingredients like ground beef, potatoes, carrots, and onion soup mix.
Ingredients 1 pound ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
- One can (14.5 oz each) of diced tomatoes with green chiles (or regular tomato sauce)
- 1 cup of uncooked instant rice
- Two medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- One small bag (about five oz. each) of frozen chopped onion soup mix (or 2 tsp dried onion soup mix, plus 1 tsp ground onion)
- 1 1/4 cups of beef broth
- One lb. can of carrots, drained and rinsed under running water
- 1/2 cup green onions (green parts only) – roughly chopped
What to do:
- Pour the ground beef into a large dutch oven. Add the diced tomatoes with green chiles and the rice. Stir everything together and let simmer on low for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the bag of soup mix, broth, potatoes, carrots, and onions. Mix everything using your spoon or spatula. Turn the crockpot on high and let it cook for about 2 hours or less. Serve warm with a slice of bread for dipping if desired.
How was it?:
We enjoyed this crockpot soup! It was so flavorful, and the flavors blended perfectly together. We even had some leftovers and ate them cold the next day. I love how versatile this recipe is, too. It’s a great meal when you’re in a hurry or want something that can be served with bread for dipping.
Variations on the recipe:
- If you want a bit of a kick, add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. If it’s too spicy for your taste, leave it out.
- If you’d like to use ground turkey instead of ground beef, increase the amount by 1 pound.
- If you want to make this a vegetarian soup, feel free to substitute the beef with ground turkey or chicken. Also, if you’re going to add some protein, feel free to add diced cooked chicken breast.
- If you’d like your soup a bit thicker, feel free to use less beef broth and more instant rice (about 3 cups of instant rice and 2 cups of beef broth instead of 1 cup each).
Yields about ten servings (1 cup each)
|Calories||220 calories per serving|
- Serve warm with crumbled cornbread or crackers for dipping.
- Serve cold with a slice of bread for dipping.
- Serve over rice as a main dish with a salad on the side or over mashed potatoes as a side dish.
- Freeze in individual portions and serve later for a quick meal.
Other ways to use this recipe:
This is the perfect recipe if you’re looking for a new soup to add to your rotation. It’s hearty, filling, and so easy to make! It’s great by itself or with some bread and cheese.
Offer tips for modifying the recipe to make it your own:
I love how versatile this recipe is! You can add more or less of the soup mix if you’d like, and you can also serve it with bread for dipping as an appetizer or over rice as a main dish with a salad on the side. It’s also cold from the freezer and can serve as leftovers.
If you’re looking for a crockpot soup recipe with ground beef, this is it! It’s tasty and filling, and that’s why I keep coming back to this one over and over again. We enjoy the addition of the creamy potato cubes too! You’ll love this hearty soup recipe if you like creamed soups.
This Hearty Cowboy Soup is a yummy comfort food that will warm your heart on a cold winter day or night. It’s perfect for a night in or if you’re looking for something hearty and filling to serve with bread for dipping.
We enjoyed this delicious soup and have already added this recipe to our favorites. It’s a hearty, filling, flavorful soup that will warm you up from the inside out. This Hearty Crockpot Cowboy Soup is perfect if you’re looking for a comforting meal or something warm and satisfying in a cold winter. I highly recommend that you try this recipe!
I’m thrilled that I discovered this yummy soup recipe, and I think you will be too! You can find more recipes like this (and lots more!) at the drop-down menu on my site, A Day in the Life on the Farm. A whole section of slow cooker recipes will be perfect if you’re looking for hearty meals for your family.
If you’re interested in more soup recipes, please check out these great soup recipes from some other bloggers!